Sometimes you have a bunch of ingredients laying around, and have no idea what you can make with them. I had some potatoes, carrots and onions laying around that needed to be used up quickly. (I didn't feel like making gnocchi again!) I found a can of coconut milk in my pantry and the idea of curry started forming.
Initially when I tasted the curry, I felt there was something missing. There was something different from what I've had in similar curries at restaurants . I finally realized... SUGAR! The little bit of brown sugar listed in the ingredients brought this curry from ordinary to extraordinary!
- 1, 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- some chopped baby carrots, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes (pealed and chopped)
- 1/3 sweet onion, diced
- 1 chicken breaste, cubed
- 8 shrimp
- +3 Tblsp brown sugar
- 20oz can of pineapple (drained)
- 8 tsp curry powder.
- Combine milk, water and spices with potatos, carrots and bring to a summer. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the veggies soften. (covered)
- Add onions, chicken, shrimp and pineapple chunks and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until the meats are cooked
- remove from heat, serve over rice.