Saturday, February 12, 2011

Caprese Salad



When I was in Italy, when you ordered a Caprese Salad, you got almost a whole ball of mozzarella! For a dinner with friends, I decided to follow the same approach.

This delicious salad is amazingly simple. This photo was from the fall, so I was able to layer the fresh mozzarella with different varieties of heirloom tomatoes. I sprinkled the dish with chopped fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil (I used special olive oil that I picked up in Croatia - Chiavalon.)

The final touch was a drizzle of a balsamic vinegar reduction. I made this reduction by slowly simmering balsamic vinegar with constant stirring. (Watch out for splatters!)

The resulting salad was so beautiful, and I can say that it was an absolute hit at my dinner party!


No comments:

Post a Comment