Sunday, March 20, 2011

Squash Apple Soup



I looked at a number of squash apple soup recipes before I made this soup, but based on the ingredients in my kitchen I decided to tweak and take elements from all of the recipes and I came up with the following recipe.

I also wanted to make sure I measured the volumes of what I put into the pot AND gave these in terms of the amount of vegetable that went into the recipe to make the recreation as simple as possible. When I made this I measured the volumes I put into the pot. I don't think the proportions matter too much.

Ingrediants
  • 2 large carrots, pealed and chopped (~2 cups)
  • 1 butternut squash, pealed and cubed (~5.5 cups)
  • 2 green apples, pealed and chopped (~2 cups)
  • 1T veggie oil
  • 1T white sugar (or brown sugar. This is really to taste)
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cups broth (I used chicken broth made from 4 bullion cubes and 3 cups of water.)
  • salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions
  • Put all ingredients into the pot and while covered bring it to a simmer. Once simmering, uncover and simmer until the veggies are soft (~10 minutes).
  • Let the mixture cool until you can handle transferring them to your food processor comfortably.
  • Puree the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve and enjoy!
The soup got a lot thicker once it was in the fridge, so you may want to start out with more broth to your soup. This Squash-Apple soup was SUPER filling and really healthy. I was surprised how creamy it tasted when there was not a lot of fat.


Other Apple Squash Soup Recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment