Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Tale of Two Moles - Part 1

My in-laws introduced me to Mole Poblano sauce, and I fell in love. Keith makes excellent enchiladas, so I wanted to find a mole sauce recipe that would complement it (since you cannot find it in supermarkets easily.)

I found two different mole recipes, a quick version (shown in Part 1) and a more authentic version (shown in Part 2). I wanted to compare the two sauces, because if the easier mole sauce tasted almost as good, then it would save a lot of preparation time.


The
simple mole recipe only has a few ingredients, pictured above.



The onions, peppers and tomato sauce simmering, the longest step in a non-labor intensive process.



After adding the cocoa powder the sauce turned the nice brown that I expected.


This mole sauce took almost no time to create. The simmering was the longest step. It can be easily created without much effort, especially if you decide not to puree it as I did. The sauce had a good flavor, but it didn't quite match the expectation of Mole Poblano that I had in my head.


Mole sauce version 1, after pureeing.


Stay tuned for a description of the more authentic Mole Poblano recipe in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment