Monday, July 18, 2011

Raisin Challah

I love having a bread machine. I use it frequently whenever I want French Bread, or pizza dough... but the big bread winner is my Challah recipe. As a child, I grew up on raisin challah... but with yellow raisins!

This bread my grandmother would get for every holiday occasion, and I never found anything close to it anywhere else. So as soon as the bread machine came into our lives, I knew I needed a good Challah recipe. After some trial and error, I found a recipe that I've fallen in love with.




Raisin Challah Recipe. I always use yellow raisins.


Setting up the dough in the bread machine.



The dough is ready to be braided. I do not separate the dough in half as the recipe recommends, but I braid all of the dough into one loaf.


It's funny, but I think that depending on the humidity, the dough will come out more or less sticky each time. Who knows!



Before (above) and after (below) the egg wash.


The bread comes out moist, sweet and tastes just like the bread from my childhood. It is definitely comfort food!

I'm sick of the remaining egg wash going to waste, so I decided to use it in... Corn Bread! Stay tuned for the next ChemEats post to find out how it came out.


No comments:

Post a Comment