Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chicken Soup with Collard Greens

Homemade chicken soup is one of my favorite things to cook. I love to make a really dense broth, full of veggies and extra chicken. I will make a two chicken soup, which helps there still be some broth, and then I use the second chicken to make chicken salad.

Last November, I had some collard greens from my Boston Organics food delivery, and I thought it would be fun to incorporate some greenery into my chicken soup (which normally just has carrots, onions, celery, parsnip and sometimes mushrooms).


Collard greens chopped into ~1 inch pieces

The reason why I love cooking chicken soup so much is that it freezes very well, and enables me to have homemade soup when I'm sick without having to do the work (or spend the money.) I had enough last to Passover that I was able to avoid making a big soup this year. (Keith and I were trying to use up our freezer and pantry since we would be moving in a few months.)


I added the collard greens in right at the very end, just before I took the chickens out.


I am about to eat the last bowl of this soup as I'm writing this post (April 25, 2011.) I'll let you in on a little secret, I schedule my posts to be published in advance. This way, I give you something new to read regularly even when real life becomes crazy. Plus, this post is going to be a reminder for me to make a big chicken soup to stock up my new freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment