What is it about 2 lbs of rhubarb that makes me giddy? I love, love, LOVE strawberry rhubarb sauce, and it's hard to skip an opportunity to make it!
Many recipes out there use a lot of sugar in the sauce, some even have you add food coloring. Personally I think that adding food coloring to rhubarb sauce is silly, you get such a great color already from the strawberries!
Rhubarb Sauce Ingredients
- 2lbs rhubarb, cleaned and chopped. (I use fresh)
- 2lbs strawberries (frozen is fine.)
- 0.5 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 c water
- if you want it to thicken more, some
- wash rhubarb, cut stalks into 1 inch long pieces.
- cut frozen strawberries in half (You don't really have to do this. If you cook the sauce long enough the strawberries will turn into sauce readily. I tend to just cut the really big ones )
- Put into a pot with half a cup of water.
- Bring to a simmer over low-mid heat (covered)
- Cook until the rhubarb is tender (~30 min)
- Add 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
- to thicken, simmer uncovered and/or add a little corn starch
Let it cool enough until you can eat it. Enjoy!