Friday, September 30, 2011

Chicken Soup with Rice



This isn't your grandma's chicken and rice soup. Why? I bet your grandma's soup is more wholesome and uses more fresh ingredients. (And maybe it has some real CHICKEN in it!)

Ingredients
  • 7 cups of water
  • 8 bullion cubes
  • chopped onions
  • 1 and a half cups of uncooked rice
  • Frozen vegetable medly
  • 2-3 whole eggs (beaten)

Instructions

  • Cook seven Min or until rice is cooked.
  • Add frozen veggies and bring to a boil
  • Beat 2-3 eggs, drop into the boiling soup, stirring as you pour the eggs in (this will help break up the egg pieces.)
  • Bring back to a boil. Cool and serve.


What I based the soup on. I had plenty of rice, what could I add to it?


A nice thing about this soup is that you don't have to start with frozen and dry ingredients. You can use canned chicken soup, old hard leftover rice and fresh veggies and get a similar result.



The only issue I had with this dish is that since I cooked the rice directly in the broth, the rice soaked up most of the liquid. Now, this was still delicious (and the rice texture wasn't so mushy), but if you want more of a soup consistency I would cook the rice separately and then add it at the end. I frequently add bullion cubes to my rice anyway, so then you wouldn't have to worry about diluting the flavor.


This is a hearty meal that is easy to whip up when you haven't stocked up on groceries for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment