Friday, September 2, 2011

Tempura Chicken

Another Trader Joe's masterpiece. The tempura chicken kit is $4-6 (I cannot remember at the moment) and is so delicious and fast to prepare.




The sauce is good (amazing actually), but there's not enough to cover a lot of rice with. Therefore I've started supplementing the mix with a sauce made out of pineapple, green pepper and onion. It's simple, but yummy and adds some veggies to the meal.


The ingredients for my supplemental sauce.

This time I only had a small onion, so I added half a shallot to the mix. I'm not sure the shallot added anything to the sauce, but it certainly didn't hurt anything! I don't always use crushed pineapple, when I use chunk I usually cut each of the pieces in half to make them into smaller bites. The extra juice helps make the sauce go farther.

I add a dash of low sodium soy sauce to finish off the sauce.


The sauce simmers while the chicken is in the oven.


If the sauce is too thin when we're ready to eat, I add a little corn starch to thicken it.



The frozen chicken


I layer the pepper/onion/pineapple sauce on top of rice, followed by the baked chicken and then topped with the (DELICIOUS) sweet and sour sauce that comes in the kit. There is definitely enough food for 3-4 meals.


Yum! Better than delivery, and much cheaper, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment