Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cranberry Muffins



Last fall, I received some cranberries with my organic vegetable delivery. I didn't know what I wanted to make, so I placed them in the freezer until I had an idea.

I decided that I wanted to try to make muffins with items that I had in my fridge. I searched for recipes, and then ended up taking components from each to combine them into the recipe that I'm sharing with you today. The recipe makes ~20 medium sized muffins.


I'd never seen the inside of a fresh cranberry before. Wow they are sour! And I double checked, cranberry seeds are edible, and there are no pits in them, either!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter (salted)
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup non-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (8 oz bag) ~2 cups whole. some finely chopped, others just cut in half

Instructions
  • Cream butter, sugar, and apple sauce, eggs and vanilla. Stir in yogurt
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices and slowly stir into the wet mixture.
  • Stir in cranberries
  • grease muffin pan and pour batter in until the cups are half full.
  • Bake at 350 degrees C for 20-25 min until muffins are done.


These muffins are SUPER moist, but this shouldn't be a surprise because of all of the wet ingredients that went into them (I think I should have left out the OJ). Maybe next time I should add some more flour... I will be back to tweak this recipe some more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment