Last fall, I received some cranberries with my organic vegetable delivery. I didn't know what I wanted to make, so I placed them in the freezer until I had an idea.
I decided that I wanted to try to make muffins with items that I had in my fridge. I searched for recipes, and then ended up taking components from each to combine them into the recipe that I'm sharing with you today. The recipe makes ~20 medium sized muffins.
I'd never seen the inside of a fresh cranberry before. Wow they are sour! And I double checked, cranberry seeds are edible, and there are no pits in them, either!
- 1/4 cup butter (salted)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (8 oz bag) ~2 cups whole. some finely chopped, others just cut in half
- Cream butter, sugar, and apple sauce, eggs and vanilla. Stir in yogurt
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices and slowly stir into the wet mixture.
- Stir in cranberries
- grease muffin pan and pour batter in until the cups are half full.
- Bake at 350 degrees C for 20-25 min until muffins are done.